Saturday, November 24, 2007

PBB: PAMANA Short Film Review

I was checking a good channel to watch when I get to see Director, Maryo J. delos Reyes, who has been one of my favorite Film Director in the Philippines, guesting in Pinoy Big Brother House... I was wondering what he is doing at the show... well, I haven't really been updated with what has been going on in that PBB house... so seeing him there at the moment really made me wonder.

Alas! Toni answered the questions in my mind... he was there to critique the short film of our celebrity house mates... Quite intrigued... I waited for that short film entitled PAMANA, courtesy of the Pinoy Big Brother Productions...

For those who don't have any idea what I'm talkin' about.. i'll give you a short description about the film PAMANA...

The story talks about the story behind the house of Victor Basa, where obviously got the Title PAMANA, because he inherited the house from his ancestors... and started to tell a story about his ancestor, wherein, his great grandfather, who happens to be a very powerful man during their time, the wife, find herself unhappy with the husband that made her get close to the colleague and it made the husband jealous that ended up in poisoning the wife and the colleague and later, himself... and as Victor continues... he kids about sightings of ghost in the house... that turned it to be real, when the three becomes the reflection of Victor's Ancestors.

I also have few comments on the film:

1. At the beginning of the film, I didn't really see any hint of a movie being freaky or anything considering that it is supposed to be kinda scary film... in fact, I find the house so lively... no signs of creepiness. Something that needs to be established through... lighting... props...

2. Victor's costume is kinda distracting... and its kinda funny... that I didn't really know that the film is supposed to be giving me goosebumps because its meant to be scary.

3. There is redundancy in the film... remember: SHOW NOT TELL. It would have been better if Victor didn't narrat the scene... like the three died and all that... but just let the video tell the story... that's what film is all about... you tell the story through the actions.

4. I find the poisoning thing to be lacking of emotions on the part of WILL and RIZA, I didn't feel the pain of dying.

5. I saw power in the character of the husband... and it was nice... and also, there is a dramatic moment when a tear is flowing down his face... it was a nice shot, I saw the drama on his face.

6. I would have liked the falling of glass, I would have find it really cinematic... but there were lapses in the consistency... considering that the glass were held in the left hand... but when the glass fell... the right hand were already situated beside the broken glass... the left hand should have been captured beside the broken glass...its what you call consistency of the film...

Oh well those are my comments on the film... I rate them... 3.0

No comments: